Getting to a quiet magical place like Culebra is within your reach. You have various options for traveling to the island, traveling there can be both enjoyable and painful depending on various factors, so before you book your flights or head over to the ferry terminal, be sure to read our travel tips to save time, money, and make the best-informed decision to meet your travel needs. With a little extra planning and time, you can enjoy a very special place without spending much money.
Cost of Traveling to Culebra
Before just looking at the cost, also weigh in the value of your time. We’ll honestly tell you what you can expect when traveling to Culebra and give you some tips to avoid some issues that may disappoint you unless you plan for it.
First…. The ferry is a great way of getting to Culebra and the sister island of Vieques at a very low monetary cost, but it has its challenges. Be sure to read our travel tips on the ferry page.
- Cost of ferry boat: $2.25 each way per person
- Taxi to Ceiba ferry terminal: About $80 one way.
- Cost of flight from San Juan International Airport: About $175 round trip
Flying to Culebra, Puerto Rico
Flying is the fastest, most reliable, and hassle-free way of traveling to Culebra from the main island of Puerto Rico. Book your flights to Culebra and prepare for a scenic ride. You’ll fly over turquoise and emerald green clear waters, small inlets, cays, smaller islands, and the breathtaking Flamenco Beach. The ferry is very economical, but if you’re only spending a few days in Culebra, flying is worth it to make the most of your time on the island.
Flights from the USA
No Passport Required for US Citizens. Major cities from the United States offer daily flights to the San Juan International Airport (SJU) offering competitive rates by various airlines that you can conveniently book online. See below.
Various cities from Europe now offer direct flights to the capital city of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Due to the long flight, we recommend you stay in San Juan for a few days to enjoy all the wonderful attractions and then head to Culebra for the remainder of your trip.
Flight Options from Puerto Rico to Culebra
+ Fly From San Juan Airport
Fly to Culebra from the San Juan International Airport (SJU)
This is the fastest and most convenient option for travelers who wish to get to Culebra by check-in time. You can conveniently book your flights online and fly direct to Culebra or book a Multi-City trip. We recommend booking with Expedia.com
+ Ceiba Airport
Ceiba is a town near the resort areas of Fajardo.
Flying can be a good choice for the following travel scenarios:
- For those travelers with a limited budget and traveling with a group, the savings may be worth flying from Ceiba to Culebra. Be sure to add the taxi fee from San Juan of about $80.
- If you planned and taking the ferry to Culebra and it did not work out, be sure to have your smartphone ready to book a flight from Ceiba.
- $ Flight Rates from $50 one way from Ceiba Airport to Culebra Airport
+ Fly From Isla Grande Airport
Right near the most popular tourist destinations in San Juan, you can take a commuter plane to Culebra.
- This is perfect for travelers wishing to split up their vacation stay between San Juan & Culebra. The airport is just a 5-minute drive from Old San Juan, Condado and a stone throw away from the Puerto Rico Convention Area District.
- $ Flight Rates start about $90 one way from Isla Grande Airport to Culebra Airport
Call Air Flamenco 787-724-1818 E-Mail: customerservice @ flyairflamenco.com Fax: 787-724-6345
Airlines flying to Culebra Island
Cape Air has partnered with Jet Blue, American Airlines, and United providing connections to Culebra from the international airport in Carolina best known as the (San Juan Airport). You can conveniently book your domestic/international flights online with one click.
Vieques Air Link
If you’re traveling with a group, the cost for the charter will cost about the same. In addition, you can enjoy the flexibility of a flight to meet your travel needs.
- Taxi Aereo: Phone / Fax: 787-718-8869 / Email: Reservations@taxiaereopr.travel
Airport in Culebra, Puerto RicoBenjamín Rivera Noriega Airport
Culebra Airport Codes
- IATA: CPX
- ICAO: TJCP
- FAA LID: CPX
Basic Airport Facts
- The Culebra Airport covers an area of 15 acres with one runaway measuring 2,600 by 50 feet. Due to the short length of the runway, commercial airlines are limited to air taxi service using propeller aircraft with 10 seats or less.
- Latitude: 18-18-46.616 N
- Longitude: 65-18-13.969 W
- Elevation: 49 ft.
Culebra Airport Facilities
- Inside the Culebra airport, you’ll find commercial flight booths where you can book your tickets.
- You can enjoy a good cup of coffee and snacks.
- Information on tour guides, transportation, and hotels are posted on an information wall.
A Little History
The airport of Culebra was originally built as a military airport by the United States Marine Corps, opening in 1957. In 1965, the government of Puerto Rico started flying civilians from San Juan, the capital city of Puerto Rico, to the island with a Legislative compensation.
Since then, a new terminal for passengers was created in 1994 and the name of the airport was changed to Benjamin Rivera Noriega in honor of a pilot recognized in the community for his services to the people of Culebra.
Ferry to the island of Culebra, Puerto Rico
Culebra one of the islands of Puerto Rico is yours to enjoy in a short ferry ride from Fajardo. Please be sure to read our travel tips below, the ferry is an affordable way of getting to Culebra and Vieques but it takes planning, time, and at special times of the year, much patience. We recommend visitors to take a flight to Culebra, you’ll get more precious time to explore the island and potentially avoid disappointments and delays. Ferry schedule is subject to change, especially during bad weather. Please call before traveling to Culebra to confirm the schedule.
Reservations at the Culebra Ferry Office
- On weekends and holidays be sure to go to the ticket office to purchase your ticket hours in advance for more peace of mind of having a ticket back to your return destination.
- Report at least one hour before departure if you already have a ticket.
- Adults (Ages 12 – 59) $2.25 one way / $4.50 round trip
- Children ages (Ages 3 – 11) $1.00
- Seniors (Ages 60 – 74) $1.00
- Seniors (Ages 75 and up) Free
Ferry Travel Tips
- We highly recommend tourists to fly from San Juan Airport or the Ceiba Airport (a little cheaper).
- We highly recommend taking a flight to and from Culebra. Even residents are finding themselves stuck at the terminal for many hours.
- During Puerto Rican holidays, locals from the mainland are known to get to Fajardo 10+ hours in advance to get in line. Visitors to Puerto Rico, do yourself a favor and fly to Culebra or Vieques during the holiday weeks or weekends.
Recommended Vacation Itinerary
Fly into San Juan, spend at least two nights exploring Old San Juan, a historic district with world class attractions sure to spark some romance and wonder, the perfect place to begin a Puerto Rico vacation. If you can’t find a hotel in Old San Juan, the metro tourist districts of Condado and the Puerto Rico Convention Center is only minutes away from Old San Juan.