Getting to a quiet magical place like Culebra is within your reach. You have two options for getting to Culebra, you can take a short commuter flight from Puerto Rico or hop on the ferry for a scenic ride from Fajardo.
Flying to Culebra, Puerto Rico
From San Juan, you can take a commuter flight to the sleepy island of Culebra. There are various options to meet your travel needs.
Read our full guide for flights to Culebra, Puerto Rico.
Getting to Culebra by Ferry
Seasoned Culebra visitors mostly coming from the main island for a day trip take the ferry. If you’re a tourist, we highly recommend you fly to Culebra to avoid disappointments, long lines and the risk of not getting on the boat at all.
Puerto Rico is full of treasures to explore, Culebra is one of those very special ones that a small number of visitors get to experience. With a little extra planning you can enjoy a magical experience in Puerto Rico.
We recommend the following travel itinerary and travel plans:
- The ferry is a great way of getting to Culebra and the sister island of Vieques at a very low monetary cost, but it has it’s challenges. Please be sure to read the Culebra / Fajardo ferry page well for tips on travel.
- Fly into San Juan and spend at least two nights exploring Old San Juan, the historic district with unique world class attractions sure to spark some romance and wonder, the perfect place to begin a Puerto Rico vacation. If you can’t find a hotel in Old San Juan, the metro tourist districts of Condado and the Puerto Rico Convention Center is only minutes away from Old San Juan, plus you can experience the vibrant city life of San Juan before heading to the magical island of Culebra.
- Take a taxi to the San Juan International Airport or the Isla Grande Airport which is even closer to Old San Juan, Condado & the Convention District. Flights from San Juan to Culebra are about $60 one way. Flights from Isla Grande to Culebra are about $70 one way.
Cost of Getting to the island of Culebra, Puerto Rico
Before just looking at the cost, also weigh in the value of your time. You’re coming on vacation, you want it to be memorable. We’ll honestly tell you what you can expect when traveling to Culebra and give you some tips to avoid some issues that may disappoint you before you even get to Culebra.
- Cost of ferry boat: $2.25 each way per person
- Taxi to Fajardo ferry terminal: About $80 one way.
- Cost of flight from San Juan International Airport: About $60 one way per person.
Keep Exploring Culebra, PR
- Home - Culebra
- Attractions in Culebra, Puerto Rico
- Beaches in Culebra Island, Puerto Rico
- Flamenco Beach
- Getting Around Culebra Island
- Getting to Culebra Island, PR
- Hotels in Culebra Island
- Things to do in Culebra, Puerto Rico